Worker Training

A PCBU must provide training if Hazardous Substances are stored or used at site.  We can arrange Certified Handler training for workers using Class 6.1A or 6.1B.

We can also provide guidance on how to meet the requirements of Regulation 4.5 & 4.6.  

If you are filling cylinders with gases under pressure we can get your Approved Fillers sorted out as well!

*COMING SOON*  Online Approved Filler Certification/Renewals, Certified Handler and Regulation 4.5 Training Modules.

Contact us for Training Packs

Certified Handlers

A Certified Handler is required for any site holding any quantity of a Class 6.1A or 6.1B substance.  

This is set out in the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Act 2017 Regulation 4.1, 4.2 & 4.3.   See the Resources page for a link to the Act and other useful documents.

If your substance is a tracked substance this generally indicates you would need Certified Handlers.  Some common substances which trigger this requirement are Chlorine, Hydrofluoric Acid (Pickling Paste), Formaldehyde and many Agrichemicals.

A Compliance Certifier is unable to issue a certificate if they have also provided the training.  Online Training courses will be availabe soon.  In the meantime we have an arrangement with another compliance certification company and can get this sorted for you so please contact us.

Kirsty can also sign off on training provided by other training providers.  You will need to provide the training materials and also evidence of the Practical On-Site Assessment.

Any questions please get in touch.

Worker Training – Regulation 4.5 & 4.6

It is now a requirement that a PCBU provide Information, Training and Instruction to workers who use, handle, manufacture or store a Hazardous Substance at a workplace.

This is set out in the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Act 2017 Regulation 4.5 & 4.6.   See the Resources page for a link to the Act and other useful documents.

This is not a difficult requirement to meet.  In house training is totally acceptable and it is not necessary to have an external third party carry out this training if you have a competent person at site to deliver it (Such as a person who has/had an Approved Handler or Certified Handler Certificate).  It should be included as part of the induction process for every worker.  A record of training must be kept.

The information provided must include:

  • any operations in the worker’s work area where hazardous substances are present; and
  • the location and availability of known reference material on the hazards, safe handling, and storage of the hazardous substances found in the workplace, including (without limitation) safety data sheets.

The training and instruction must include the following:

  • the physico-chemical and health hazards associated with the hazardous substances the worker uses at work
  • the procedures (if applicable) for the safe use, handling, manufacture, storage, and disposal of the hazardous substances
  • practice in the safe use of plant (including personal protective equipment) necessary to manage the hazardous substances
  • the worker’s obligations under these regulations
  • the actions that the worker should take in an emergency involving the hazardous substances

The worker must have had an appropriate period of practical experience.  A PCBU must keep a record of training and instruction provided and ensure the record is available for inspection by a Compliance Certifier or enforcement officer.

For more information on Worker Training click here to read the WorkSafe guidance document.

For an example of a Record of Training document click here.

For an example of a Record of Training Spreadsheet click here.

To have an example of a training pack for LPG or Petrol sent out to you please Email Us.

Any questions please get in touch.

Approved Fillers

An Approved Filler is required for a site where workers are filling containers with gases under pressure.  This can be cylinders, tanks or aerosols.  

This is set out in the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Act 2017 Regulation 15.65 & 15.66.   See the Resources page for a link to the Act and other useful documents.

If you are filling LPG cylinders you must comply with the requirements set out in the Safe Work Instrument.  Kirsty is approved as a National Trainer for the LPG Association and can provide training for LPGA Fillers as well as certifying and training LPGA Site Trainers.  More informaiton on the LPG Association can be found on their site here.

To be certified as an Approved Filler you need to demonstrate that you have the necessary training, knowledge and skills to fill gas containers safely.

We will send you an application form, an Assessment and you will need to provide us with evidence of your competence.  This can be done by providing operating procedures for your filling systems and photographs of the filling processes and systems in place.  The practical training will need to be signed off by a work supervisor or training provider, a form for this is also included in the training package.

Knowledge and skills required of Approved Fillers:

  • How to fill gas containers safely
  • The different forms of gases under pressure such as
    • Low-pressure liquefiable gas
    • High-pressure liquefiable gas
    • Permanent gases
    • Cryogenic gases that may be held at very low temperatures
  • Factors that can trigger the failure of a gas container
  • Consequences of a failure of a gas container associated with the different forms of gases under pressure, including asphyxiation
  • Inspecting a gas container

To get started send us an Email with the details of what you require and we will send out the paperwork.  If you are renewing an Approved Filler certificate please also include a copy of the old certificate.

Any questions please get in touch.